There are various types of bacteria that live inside your mouth. These bacteria build up as plaque and can also cause tooth decay which can lead to gum diseases. You must practice good oral hygiene to maintain a healthy smile.
Good practices for good oral health include brushing 2 times in a day in the morning and in the night before going to bed, using antimicrobial mouthwash, and flossing at least once per day to restrict reproducing of the harmful bacteria.
Focus on the intake of calcium-rich healthy diet like low or fat-free milk try to avoid minimize sugary and starchy foods it helps to keep those bad bacterial under control.
Where does tooth decay come from?
Our mouth is home for entire communities of bacteria that helps to recycle our food and drinks. In the recycling process these bacteria feed on the sugars from the foods we consumed and leaves behind the waste, in the form of a biofilm known as dental plaque.
This plaque allows bacteria to stick around the teeth for longer until eventually, they start making acids, which harm our tooth enamel and cause activities.
The bacteria near the gums are responsible to produce toxic products that enter the gum tissues, causing gingivitis. If untreated, gingivitis may become a more serious disease where there are bone and tissue loss around the teeth.
How to prevent tooth decay?
The best way to prevent tooth decay is to prevent the formation and removal of plaque around teeth by brushing and cleaning your teeth every day. Use a soft-bristled brush to clean your teeth daily. Select the brush which fits your mouth and allow you to reach all areas easily. Always use an antimicrobial toothpaste containing fluoride, which helps your teeth fight against decay.
Use floss or interdental cleaners to remove plaque from between the teeth, where the toothbrush can’t reach. Flossing prevents gum disease.
Dental professionals recommended brushing and flossing techniques for your teeth:
- Use fluoride-containing toothpaste with a soft-bristle toothbrush.
- Brush your teeth by keeping a toothbrush at a 45-degree angle against gums.
- Keep moving the brush back and forth gently to clean the chewing surface of the teeth.
- Make sure you are brushing all parts of teeth like inner surface, an outer surface, and chewing surface of the teeth.
- Move the brush along the gum line gently.
- Use a tongue cleaner to clean tongue it helps to remove bacteria from mouth freshen your breath.
- Take around an 18-inch length of floss and wind it around the middle fingers of each hand to hold it tightly.
- Gently rub floss between your teeth to remove plaque between the gap of teeth.
- Curve floss in c shape against the tooth after it reaches the gum line.
- Don’t forget flossing the backside of your upper and lower teeth.
- Use mouth rinse for added protection
Along with brushing and flossing use mouth rinse liquid to rinse mouth. The use of antimicrobial mouth rinses reduces the secretion of bacteria and plaque. Fluoride mouth rinses help in the prevention of tooth decay. Don’t try new products without consulting your dentist. Swallowing of fluoride is harmful so it advised not to use fluoride mouth rinse for children ages 6 or younger.
Few additional but really important tips for maintaining healthy teeth and gums.
- Reduce the daily intake of sweetened drinks.
- Drink sufficient amount of fluoridated water with meals.
- Use a straw to drink sweetened beverages it reduces the contact of sweetened beverages with your teeth.
- Replace sugary drinks with milk, yogurt, or water.
Making brushing and flossing as your daily oral care routine are the most important components in the fight to keep your teeth plaque-free – and protecting your teeth and gums for future dental problems.
Your wait to get Quality dental treatment ends with a world-class Dental clinic in Nagpur. Dr.Chhabrani dental clinic provides complete dental care services from routine dental cleaning to advanced orthodontics to cover all preventative and restorative dental practices.